Do you think I ate that all of that Nutella Bread Pudding? I can tell you with a clean conscience that I did not. I enjoyed my generous serving and the rest went into the metabolic abyss that is Pierre’s stomach.
Wandering Chopsticks outed my inconsistency and indeed, it seems wrong to post a diet salad one day and then proceed with a gazillion calorie-laden and thigh-enlarging bread pudding the next. But the key word is Moderation – a word that rises and falls in its efficacy around here but one that I subscribe to nevertheless.
I do make and eat a lot of Vietnamese and various other salads regularly. I also exercise [fairly] regularly. Still, I’m no willowy twig. I eat chocolate and butter and cream and whatever else I like on occasion but I try to be conscious of the amount and to not over-eat. While my weight may fluctuate somewhat at times, I am committed to eating right most days – well, except on Sundays and on any ethnic holiday😉
These salads keep me *in check* and they manage to delight me as well.
SPICY CALAMARI SALAD
INGREDIENTS: (2 main dish servings)
- 1 lb (500 g) cleaned small squid (calamari), tentacles left whole and body cut into 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) rings, drained and patted dry
- 1/2 large english cucumber, de-seeded and cut into thin, 2-inch (5cm) julienned strips
- 1 medium sized red bell pepper, de-seeded and cut into thin, 2-inch (5cm) julienned strips
- white sesame seeds,for garnish
- 1.5 Tbl of Spicy Sauce/Dressing
- cooking oil
Add oil to your wok or skillet and turn the heat to high. Quickly fry and sear the calamari for about 45 seconds (not more than a minute). Remove from heat and toss with the rest of the ingredients.
Next, pat yourself on the back for getting a healthy, tasty meal together in such little time.