There are a lot of fantastic versions for this dish. At restaurants, they will sometimes serve this with crispy fried potatoes or rice. I often make this just as a salad with no rice or potatoes. It’s quick and easy dish that I can put together for a weeknight meal. Sometimes, I’ll quickly pickle the shallots in vinegar and sugar before topping the final dish. Here, I’ve added them to the stir-fry. I use tomatoes whenever they’re in season. Watercress is great this time of year, so I find myself making this dish quite often.
BÒ LÚC LẮC – *SHAKING* BEEF WITH WATERCRESS
INGREDIENTS: (4 servings)
For the beef marinade:
- 1 lb. (~454 g) beef sirloin, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoons (5 ml) soy sauce
1 tablespoon2 tsp. (10 g) raw sugar
- 2-3 small cloves garlic, mince
For the salad:
- 1 Tbl. vegetable oil
- 1-2 bundles of watercress, torn into approx. 1.5 inch (~4cm) sprigs
- 3 med-large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tomatoes (quartered) [when in season]
- fresh cracked pepper
- Wash, dry and prepare the watercress. Set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients for the beef marinade and allow to marinate for about 30 minutes. Add the oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the beef (along with marinade ingredients) and quickly stir-fry [shaking] it until seared on the edges, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- When the beef is done, add the shallots, quickly tossing them to combine and turn off the heat.
- To plate, arrange the watercress on the plate and top with the beef [and then the tomatoes]. Sprinkle fresh cracked pepper over the entire dish. Serve warm.